Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Peacocks and Embroidery

After the new year I started a pair of socks out of Cherry Tree Hill's Supersock Merino in Peacock (how could I resist?). Here is the first sock:



I'm very happy with this colorway, especially since it was bought sight-unseen. The colors imitate a peacock pretty well. The striping effect is almost Monet- or Missoni-like. I have another skein of CTH in Old Rose, which I'm considering using next. Since I'm currently doing a thesis on Eco's The Name of the Rose, I think I need Name of the Rose socks. I need to find a pattern that has something to do with medievalism, Doyle, or detectives...hmm.

Sock pals were assigned today, and I'm excited to start working on mine! I just got Nancy Bush's book Knitting on the Road, and hope to use a pattern from it. My tastes and those of my pal are somewhat similar, so I hope I'll be able to please her!

Though I'm very happy with knitting and spinning, lately I've been thinking a lot about embroidery. I did some embroidery when I was quite young, and enjoyed it. I have been reading a fun book called The Subversive Stitch: Embroidery and the Creation of the Feminine by Roszika Parker. It outlines the history of embroidery and how it came to be almost a symbol of femininity. I'd love to start dabbling in this again. Embroidery appeals to me more than fair isle as a way to "paint" with thread. Some of the designs I've been liking include Remember the Ladies, Merry Cox's designs, and Carolyn Wells' designs. I like the simple, colonial looking patterns and the beautiful colors that are available. I may just have to dive in headfirst!

A couple of words about the title of this blog: it is partly an allusion to Sean O'Casey's play, "Juno and the Paycock" as well as the combination of one of my favorite names and my favorite symbol/color combination. Both my mom and I have loved peacock colors forever, and she even wants to have one someday. I have a beautiful velvet hat adorned with peacock feathers and beads that she made me. Currently my peacock obsession is manifesting in the socks I'm working on and the Peacock Feathers Shawl, stuck in my closet but soon to be unearthed and completed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home