Thursday, July 19, 2007

Yes, I can use a sewing machine!


Quite some time ago, I received my future mother-in-law's sewing machine as a gift, since she wasn't using it anymore. I will admit that I have been somewhat afraid to dive into sewing, since it has been a long time since I did any and when I did, I had my own mother to hold my hand through it. Well, I finally took the plunge!

This is the Cabo Halter by Amy Butler, made out of some fabric from the new line from Free Spirit called Freshcut, by Heather Bailey. The pattern calls for 2 1/2 yards, but I had read that it takes much less, and it did. I asked for 1 1/4 yards, and that was all that was left on the bolt! It worked out perfectly, especially as I took some length off (and would like to take off more). I love the fabric and want to get more by the same designer!


I was so nervous while working on this top, because I knew it was the last of the fabric in town. Still, I didn't have to rip any seams or redo anything. I even put in my first invisible zipper, without an invisible zipper foot. I don't think it's perfect, but I'm satisfied!


We went out to dinner tonight, which was part of my motivation for finishing it today. One reason I look so happy is that as of today, we have been engaged for one year. It really doesn't seem that long to me...at least we have finally started actually figuring things out for the wedding! Since that is still over a year away, I'm confident it will all go well.

Now, I apparently have some pants to go hem...

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah / Blue Garter said...

It looks fantastic! I managed to put a zipper in my first skirt under careful instructions from my sewing teacher, but I'm not at all sure I understand how it works, so I'm very impressed about your invisible zipper and the nice overall fit you achieved. Congratulations on your year of engagement - I hope the next will be very happy as you plan your wedding!

10:57 AM  
Blogger Alli Kat said...

fantastic work! And congratulations on one year of engagement! Mike and I couldn't wait that long. :)

Re: pants to hem...just don't let him get the idea that you're going to sew suits for him or something...some men...

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello,

Wonderfull ! It's very cut ! My english is very bad and i can't let a long message ! Bye

1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katherine,
Your new top is beautiful! I am so very happy that you are enjoying my old sewing machine. As I probably told you, I got it as a high school graduation gift, and it performed like a champ for years and years (and years) of constant use. I only replaced it because it didn't sew modern (translate as post-1970's) fabrics very well. My new(er) machine is nice, but I still miss the Elna!

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home