Monday, April 03, 2006

Sockapaloooza and other gems

Well, starting school put a bit of a damper on my progress, but I still managed to finish one of my sock pal's socks. The other one is well started, too!


I'm pleased with the sock. It fits me without being huge, but has plenty of room to stretch, which it needs to do just a wee bit to fit my pal. I really, really hope it fits ok and she likes it! I think the colors are great, even though I normally don't like blue that much, and the variegation works well with the colorway. Next week=finished!

Here's the first sock pictured with a beautiful bowl I bought in Ashland. I've been interested in pottery for quite some time, and luckily there are a lot of potters in the area. I may get a chance to try my hand with clay sometime while I'm there (it will be at least two years). I bought this bowl from Frank Philipps Pottery.



I love the robin's egg blue on the inside, and the detailing on the sides.

Of course, I didn't neglect my yarn habit on my recent trip. Here's the haul:


L to R: Socks that Rock in Autumn, soy silk roving, Koigu (yarn from Knit Purl in Portland, roving from Web-sters in Ashland). I can't wait to spin the roving, it is deliciously soft and shiny. However, I haven't decided what to do with it yet.

Four years ago, my mom made me a beautiful quilt for my high school graduation. It is in autumny colors and is used as my bedspread. Last winter, I picked out fabrics for another quilt and she made it for my birthday, which just passed.


I love the bright cheeriness of the patterns, the luster of the silks, and the workmanship of it. My cat Valentina thinks it is complemented well by my shawl, the Koigu sock, and herself, of course.

In my personal life, I finally managed to impress somebody at our school's auditions and made it into orchestra. I'm really excited about the literature we're playing, including Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade. There's a super-secret project I have in the works that I may have to christen Scheherazade in honor of it. Keep watching to find out more :).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that jazzy blue sock - what a lucky pal you have! I'm working the foot of sock #1 for my pal, but I have the opposite problem - her feet are much smaller than mine, so I won't be able to try them on for much longer. Fingers crossed that they fit...

Great fun reading your blog - I think it's terrific that you're going to be a midwife, and I really love your felt girl and pirate!

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home